In 1777 Gosforth contained 7 townships of North Gosforth, South Gosforth, Coxlodge, Kenton, Fawdon, East Brunton, and West Brunton. By order of the Local Government Board on 20 September 1872, the parishes of South Gosforth and Coxlodge were constituted into a district, governed by the South Gosforth Local Board. After the 1894 Local Government Act, it became the South Gosforth Urban District Council. A year later, by a Northumberland County Council order dated 14 March 1895, the title was changed again to Gosforth Urban District Council.
On 15 July 1903 the District Council applied for an order from Northumberland County Council, to extend its boundaries to include the parishes of North Gosforth, East Brunton, West Brunton, Fawdon and the greater part of Kenton. On 9 September 1903 an inquiry was held into the Gosforth Scheme, but the proposal was refused. The parishes of Coxlodge and South Gosforth were amalgamated into the parish of Gosforth in 1908. Gosforth then extended its boundaries after the County of Northumberland Review Order 1935, to include part of Castle Ward Rural District. This comprised parts of East Brunton, Fawdon, and North Gosforth civil parishes. The Gosforth Urban District Council was finally abolished on 1 April 1974 to become part of the City of Newcastle Metropolitan Borough Council.
Gosforth Central Park
The park is situated north of the City in the East Gosforth Ward and lies between Moor Road North and Church Road. At a cost of £10,000 Central Park was created in 1932 out of seven acres of land previously occupied by Sanderson Nursery. This is still remembered by the little lane running north from Gosforth Shopping Centre towards Church Road known as Garden Street.
The Park was opened to the public by the Chairman of the Gosforth Urban District Council (UDC) on the 6th August 1932. The south Bowling Green was laid out and opened by Mrs. Blenkinsop, wife of the UDC Chairman on the 15th June 1934.
Later in 1934 more land belonging to the Roman Catholic authorities which adjoined the park was acquired. Maxwell Hart Limited, of Manchester was awarded a contract to lay an additional north Bowling Green for £680. Play area facilities were available from the 1st May 1937.
More images from Gosforth Central Park